We offer group classes, one on one sessions and Boot Camps specifically designed for puppies.
We offer group classes, one on one sessions and Boot Camps specifically designed for adolescent and adult dogs.
Boarding & Daycare
Your dog will learn basic leash skills and to play appropriately with dogs of all ages and temperaments.
You’ll get GPS tracking of every walk including a note from your dog walker that automatically gets emailed to you.
Dog Training Salt Lake City
What is an Emotional Support Human and Why Does Your Dog Need One?
We expect more of our dogs today than any generation before us. Leash time is a relatively new thing, so are small yards, and we often tell our dogs, “don’t sniff that, don’t run in the house, don’t chase critters; just eat kibble, don’t be territorial, don’t bark, don’t guard, don’t hump, don’t roam”. And on top of that you expect your dog to be your emotional support. The crazy thing is, she does it! And she does a damn good job of it too!
That’s a lot of restrictions right? You’re asking for a lot of self control without realizing it. The trick is convincing your dog all that self control will pay off in the long run which is no easy task. What I’m trying to say is your naughty dog needs an Emotional Support Human!
With so many people needing Emotional Support Animals in our world today, Train Walk Poop is here to advocate for the dogs who are in desperate need of an Emotional Support Human.
You must be that human in order to have the life you want for you and your dog. The truth is, you both need an Emotional Support Human to reach your goals together. Here’s what you need to teach your dog:
- Following me leads to your favorite things in life (exploring, new smells, play, water, breakfast, dinner, treats, bones, toys, affection)
- Obeying me, while annoying sometimes, leads to a fulfilled life of adventure (good dogs get to go to all the BBQs, camping trips, car rides, Home Depot trips, hikes, parties, family get togethers, walks around the block, being off leash almost everywhere)
- Many rules are temporary until we are on the same page. Once you learn to make good decisions on your own we can start throwing rules out the window! (Crating, sleeping on the couch/bed, off leash time, and constant supervision are all things we can fade out as soon as you have earned it )
- I will not put you in situations you are not ready for. If you’re stressing out or overwhelmed by all the exciting and distracting things going by. I’ll make our next session easier and get help from someone who knows exactly what you need.
- I will be consistent with the rules I give you so as not to confuse you or make you stubborn (nothing encourages bad behavior and persistence more than a parent who occasionally rewards breaking the rules).
- I’ll turn your favorite things into a fun training game we play together so you learn your natural drives are wonderful to show to the world when I say it’s ok (chasing, wrestling, hunting, running, stalking, and jumping are either the most amazing things to watch dogs do or the scariest depending on if it is the right place and time).
- If you’re engaged with me and what I’m asking of you your confidence will grow and so will mine. If you’re mentally disconnected we must be skipping important steps; I promise I’ll find the help we need to get to the next level.
- I want you to be well behaved not to control you or change you but so you can safely enjoy all the freedom!
- I will tell you “no” without feeling guilty (your dog can smell the guilt on you and will persist until you are clean of it).
In order to pull this off, your dog needs a human who can help her through the hard time she’s having and so do you. I know I’ve needed many Emotional Support Humans throughout my life and dog training career. Without them Batman and I would not be enjoying polite walks through Home Depot or off leash hikes together. You might think you need a quick fix for your dog’s behavior but what you really need is a mentor to show you the right path.
If you’re feeling overwhelmed by all of this please know it is not your fault; it’s not your dog’s fault either. It’s simply a product of a very odd situation we find ourselves in.
You brought a farm animal into your home with the expectation that there wouldn’t be many complications (so did I with my first puppy). You would never expect things to go smoothly if you brought a horse or a goat into your family and put it in the spare bedroom, but for some reason we have that expectation for our dogs. We highly underestimate how much work we’ll need to put in to successfully integrate our semi-domesticated, wolf-dog, fur-babies into city life.
What I’m passionate about is good dog parenting and leadership! You can do this by teaching your dog to assume that wherever you are there are some ground rules. Teach her those rules patiently and expect her to follow them. The more she follows your lead the more freedom she gets!
Let’s create a positive feedback loop together where once your dog “gets it” you can start throwing rules out the window. Your dog will know how to think for herself because we allow her to work through situations with as little intervention as possible. Kind of like following a toddler around at a park. We don’t hold their hand the whole time; we let them explore, climb, lick swings, taste woodchips, make friends, and take risks.
But as soon as they start throwing rocks, climbing too high, taking a second lick off the slide, imitating the mean kid, or exploring too far away we stop them and show them a better way. Let’s work together to show your dog a better way!
I hope this has given you some perspective into how your dog experiences her world and how I see the world of dogs. Please know that nothing would bring me more joy than to watch your dog run through an open field with the joy in her heart clearly displayed on her face. I want your adventures together to be the envy of all who watch you walk by with a loose leash in hand and a confident, proud dog by your side.
Our team of Emotional Support Humans are standing by.
“They put a lot of time into evaluating each dog to ensure every dog gets the right program of activities and plays with suitable friends. They train on crate behavior, leash, treadmill, fetch, socialization, agility courses, tricks, barking and whining, and general obedience. We’ve also scheduled a personalized one-on-one training session where we’ll get advice and techniques to properly work with her. Highly recommended!”
– JEREMIAH H
Free GPS Tracking of Walks
Daycare Run by Trainers
1 on 1 sessions & Boot Camps Available
Meet Our Team
Our team members really bond with the pets they are entrusted to care for. I am confident that after a few visits with us your dog will start to think of our pet care team as part of the family. We see it time and time again! After all, it’s the emotional connection that we have with your dogs that matters the most.
– TRAINER –
People often ask me, “how did you get started working with dogs?”. To which I answer, “I got a dog”. And that’s the truth, I got a Pit Bull puppy on a whim, and I had no idea how to raise him.
I started watching The Dog Whisperer on tv, going to dog training workshops, reading dog related books and scientific studies and buying every dog training dvd I could get my hands on. Thanks to all my studying and hard work with my own dog, my friends and family soon took notice of my passion and ability with dogs.
– DOG WALKING & PET SITTING MANAGER –
Lorie has had dogs her entire life. Something about their happy, playful nature and noble hearts has always made her love dogs. In December of 2014, Lorie was looking for a new challenge when she saw an opening with Train Walk Poop. She applied, and her search blossomed into a new passion. She loves what she does, and has a lot of fun with it. Her dependability shows, as she can be counted on to always do a great job.
Train Walk Poop has your pets needs covered
GPS tracking included
- Free GPS tracking
- End of walk note
- Licensed, bonded, insured
We teach social confidence and how to play nicely
- Basic leash training
- Social skills
- Supervised by a trainer
Tailored to you and your dog
- 1 on 1 sessions
- Boot Camps
- Experienced trainers
- Pro level members of IACP
My dog just got back from a 5 day board and train. She is remarkably changed for the better. She went from a wild, 6-month old puppy to a calm dog who just awaits instructions. I am still trying to wrap my head around how this is possible. Don’t hesitate to use this service.